Should I “scrub” the FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on Paint into the fabric while painting?
When applying the paint, use enough brush pressure to press the FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on paint into the fabric, by doing this, you will increase the adhesion of the paint to the fabric.
When fabric painting, do I need to scrub FolkArt Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint into the fabric?
When painting on fabric, use enough brush pressure to press paint into the fabric fibers which will increase the adhesive properties.
How thick should I apply my FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on Paint?
When applying FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on paints to fabric, use a moderately heavy application of paint. It is best to keep your brush full of paint when painting with FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on paint, moderate to heavy applications will have greater durability. A lighter application of paint will have less durability.
What are the three most important features of FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints?
- FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints are formulated the same as FolkArt® Acrylics with the same rich, creamy consistency which allows the decorative artist to paint many different techniques including the popular One Stroke™ painting techniques.
- FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints are also formulated with the decorative artist in mind. These paints have excellent hide, so that when painting on dark fabrics, your colors will remain bright and not be dulled by the dark fabric showing through the decorative painting.
- When painting with FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints, your fabric item will remain soft to the touch when dry. Your painted design will not dry hard, or stiff.
What types of fabrics can I decorative paint on using FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints?
Fabrics such as denims, cottons, poly cotton blends, woven blends, and home décor textiles can be used as surfaces for fabric painting when using FolkArt® Fabric™ Paints.
Should fabric be prewashed before decorating with FolkArt Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint?
Yes, to remove manufacturer’s sizing, all fabrics should be prewashed using soap and water following washing instructions and most denims should be washed multiple times in hot water.
After washing, dry thoroughly before decorating. When washing and drying, DO NOT use a fabric softener. If needed, iron wrinkles smooth without using spray starch.
Is it necessary to heat set my fabric painting project when using FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on Paints?
Heat setting is recommended for best durability. Allow the painted design to dry overnight. Place the item in a clothes dryer for 30 minutes on the highest setting allowed for the type of fabric used, OR you may heat set the painted piece using a dry iron and a pressing cloth by laying the pressing cloth over the painted fabric and iron the painted design for 10 seconds, lift the iron and move it to another section of the painted design. Your iron should be set at the highest setting allowed for the fabric used. NOTE: When using the FolkArt® Fabric™ Dimensional paint, you will not be able to heat set by iron, air dry your project for 72 hours and turn your garment inside out and heat set in the dryer for 30 minutes. Dryer is only used for heat setting fabric.
Is it necessary to heat set FolkArt Watercolor Acrylic Paint when painted on fabric?
Yes, heat-setting will ensure the durability of your FolkArt Watercolor fabric project. Follow the instructions below to heat-set your project.
- 1Allow the decorated fabric to dry 24 hours.
- Heat set the painted surface using a dry iron set to the highest setting allowed for the fabric and a pressing cloth. Do NOT use steam.
- Position the project fabric decorated-side up, then lay a pressing cloth over the fabric and lightly press the decorated fabric area for 30 seconds.
- Lift the iron and move to another section; continue until the entire design area has been heat-set.
What is the best way to apply FolkArt Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint to fabric surfaces?
When applying FolkArt Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint premixed with FolkArt Textile Medium, use a moderately heavy application. Moderate to heavy paint applications will have greater durability.
How long does it take for the design painted on fabric to dry?
The FolkArt® Fabric™ Brush-on paint will air dry within 24 hours and will be cured in 72 hours.