In the August edition of Furniture Flip, Cathie & Steve show you how to make a super fun rainbow unicorn vanity. Made with glitter and a custom cut unicorn stencil. This piece is perfect for the unicorn lovers out there.
Scroll down to watch the video at the end of this post. Let us know in the comments what you think!
Save our Rainbow Unicorn Tutorial on Pinterest to inspire your next furniture redo!
Time to complete
- FolkArt Home Décor Chalk – Cottage White
- Mod Podge – Gloss
- Mod Podge – Sparkle
- FolkArt Color Shift – Purple Flash
- FolkArt Multi-Surface – 2969 White Pearl
- Sponcer Paintbrushes, Color Shift – Aqua Flash
- FolkArt Multi-Surface – 2912 Daffodil Yellow
- FolkArt Chunky Glitter – 2858 Gold
- Mod Podge – Furniture Satin
- Wood Vanity
- Wax Paper
- Glitter – Rainbow Colors
- Pencil and Ruler
- FolkArt Stencil Blanks
- Unicorn Clipart
- Craft Knife
- Sea Sponge
- Prep the vanity by removing hardware and cleaning the wood. Fill any holes with wood filler.
- Remove the mirror from the vanity. Tape off the mirror with a piece of wax paper. Paint the wood trim around the mirror with Cottage White Chalk. This will serve as a neutral colored primer.
- Measure around the mirror and divide the measurement by the number of glitter colors you are using. Use a pencil and ruler to mark the sections for glittering. Working with one color at a time until that color is completely dry, apply Mod Podge gloss to the section. Sprinkle the coordinating color of glitter over the bottle. Tap off the excess. Repeat for deeper color. Top-coat with more Mod Podge to seal the glitter. Add the other glitter colors in the same fashion.
- Glitter the drawer following the instructions on step 3.
- Paint the vanity with two coats (three if needed) of Patina Chalk.
- Tape the Stencil Blank over your unicorn drawing, Using a craft knife, cut around the design to create your own stencil. Make as many stencils as you desire.
- Tape the stencil to the top of the vanity. Dip a damp sea sponge into Purple Flash, tap of the stencil design (avoid the horn). Dip the sea sponge into a tiny amount of White Pearl. Tap onto the unicorn to add highlights to the belly, face and neck.
- Dip a Sponcer brush into Aqua Flash. Tap the paint along the mane, tail and feet of the unicorn. Blend as you tap.
- Paint the horn part of the unicorn with Daffodil Yellow. Top-coat with two coats of Chunky Glitter Gold.
- With the sea sponge, tap a small amount of Mod Podge Sparkle onto the unicorn.
- Once everything is dry, top-coat the entire vanity (not the glitter parts) with Mod Podge Furniture.
When working with glitter and Mod Podge, sprinkle the glitter over an opened file folder. The crease will make it easier to funnel back into the glitter jar.