Looking for something fun to do at home with your family? Plaid has got you covered! Create a family art party this weekend with some of these fun and stylish decor ideas. Make something for yourself to decorate your home or let your kids make something to decorate their room. With the expertise of our crafters, you can create any of these 6 easy projects to entertain you and your family.
In January, Plaid launched a new FolkArt One Stroke Wreath of the Month
program with Donna Dewberry. Through educational tutorial videos, Donna teaches you how to paint her famous flowers and leaves on three different wooden wreaths (sold separately). While we love watching Donna paint on these wreaths, we have taken our oversized wooden wreaths and have crafted them into some alternative pieces that would be a lovely addition to any home decor.
Our wooden wreaths surfaces are large and versatile for a variety of craft projects. There are three sizes: circle
, and oval
. Each wood surface is designed with flowing scalloped edges and mimics the size of a standard wreath. Each wreath also has pre-drilled holes for a variety of ways to hang the shape and is approximately ⅜” thick.
Hang your wreath designs over your bed, a mantelpiece, on your door and so much more. The possibilities are endless with these versatile wreaths. Plus! You can utilize each side of your wood surface to create two separate designs.
Below are 6 ways to turn your wreath into a stunning decor piece for your home.
Click on the tag in the bottom left-hand corner of each photo to shop our supply list.
Scalloped Rainbow Mirror
- 99458 FA One Stroke Wooden Round Scallop Plaque
Apple Barrel Paints:
- 20771E Too Blue
- 20501E Bright Red
- 21884 Snow White
- 20513 Bright Yellow
- 20226E Petunia Purple
- 20587 Spring Green
- 21472 Jack-O-Lantern
- 50536 Folkart Brush Set – 10Pk
- 12” Round Mirror
- Epoxy Glue for Glass
- 3/8” Cotton Rope
- 2- 1” Beads With 3/8” Holes
Scalloped Wedding Sign
- Paint each scallop one of the colors listed in supplies. Refer to photo for placement of colors.
- With each color add a little white to make a lighter tone. Paint following the shape of each scallop. Eventually you will have four different shades of the same color on each scallop.
- Glue mirror to the wooden wreath with epoxy.
- Add rope and beads.
- Tie pompoms to rope.
- 99458 FA One Stroke Square Wooden Plaque
- 30725 Plaid Decorative Wood Burning Tool
- 6099E FA Stencil Value Pack – Wedding
Large Circle Name Plaque
- Trace stencil onto the wooden plaque
- Follow the pencil lines and then fill in with the wood burning tool
- Draw a square frame around the outside and fill in with the wood burning tool.
- Add twine to hang.
- Folkart Paints:
- 901 Wicker White
- 2427 Alfalfa
- 516 Light Lavender
- 231 Real Brown
- 6447 Conch Shell
- 465 Sky Blue
- 6452 Fire Coral
- 39287 Folkart Hallmark – So Happy Stencil
- 99458 Folkart Circle Plaque
- 34058 Stencil Décor 5/8” Stencil Brush
- 50536 Folkart Brush Set – Artist Variety Pack
- Transfer Paper
- White Satin Ribbon
Toile Square Photo Plaque
- Basecoat plaque with Conch Shell.
- Once dry stencil flowers onto plaque. Refer to photo for place of stencil and color.
- Find a desirable font and enlarge name to fit onto center of plaque.
- Transfer to plaque.
- Paint name with Real Brown.
- Cut and ribbon and insert through holes.
- Folkart Paints:
- 403 Navy Blue
- 901 Wicker White
- 39265 Folkart Modern Toile Stencil
- CS11305 Matte Mod Podge 4oz.
- 6099E Folkart Stencil Value Pack
- 44219 Plaid Wood Brush Set
- 99459 Square Plaque
- Black and White Photo
- Craft Glue
Monogram Wood Wreath
- Base coat plaque with Wicker White.
- Once dry stencil pattern all over plaque in Navy.
- Basecoat frame with Navy.
- Enlarge photo to fit frame and Mod Podge to the center of the plaque. Apply a top coat of Mod Podge.
- Glue the frame over the photo.
- Insert ribbon through holes.
- FolkArt ® One Stroke™ Surfaces - Plaques - Oval, 22-1/2" x 17", Item #99462
- FolkArt Home Décor Chalk, Cottage White, Item # 6437
- FolkArt Home Décor Chalk, Parisian Gray, Item # 6358
- FolkArt ® Home Decor™ Tools - Layering Block, Item #36046
- FolkArt ® Home Decor™ Brushes - Chalk Paintbrush, Item #34907
- Wooden letter
- Felt flowers
- Wood glue
- Hot glue gun
- Thick twine
Polka-Dot Shelf Plaque
- Using Chalk Paintbrush, basecoat the wooden wreath with Cottage White. Let dry.
- Apply a small dab of Parisian Gray to the Layering Block and wipe the excess off onto a paper towel. Lightly drag the layering block alone the surface and edges of the wreath to create a distressed look. Let dry.
- Using Parisian Gray, paint the wooden letter. Let dry.
- Using wood glue adhere the wooden letter to the center of the wooden wreath.
- Using a hot glue gun, adhere felt flowers to the top of the wreath. See project photo for placement.
- Finish the wreath by tying thick twine through the holes at the top for hanging.
- 22-1/2" x 17" Oval Plaque, #99462
- FolkArt ® Home Decor™ Chalk - White Adirondack, 8 oz., #34150
- FolkArt ® Home Decor™ Chalk - Black, 8 oz., #34169
- FolkArt ® Brush Sets - Soft Grip - Wash Brush Set, #50603E
- Wood Glue
- Power Drill
- 4 Screws
- 2 Bar Clamps
- Leather Strap
- Basecoat your entire plaque with White Adirondack. Let dry.
- Use your ½” flat brush to paint loose Black polka-dots on your plaque. Let dry.
- Use your wood glue and bar clamps to adhere your two 15”x3” wood shelves to the plaque. Let dry.
- Once dry, reinforce the shelves by drilling screws into the back of the plaque.
- Tie a leather strap at the top of the plaque.
These wood surfaces make the perfect family craft night project. Stock up on your craft supplies for hours of entertainment for you and your family!
Share your wood surface creations with us using #PlaidCrafts. Your project could be featured on our #FanFriday series!