FolkArt ® Painted Finish Kit - Barnwood #5074, FolkArt ® Painted Finishes - Brush Set, 3 pc. #5080, Unfinished wide-mold wood frame (size of choice), Brush basin or container for water, Foam plates, Paper towels, Straight-edged ruler or old credit card
- Pour a small amount of Barnwood Tint onto a foam plate. Load the Shortie Brush with Barnwood Tint.
- Following the grain of the wood, brush on Barnwood Tint. Wipe surface of the frame with a soft, lint-free, cotton cloth to remove excess tint. Let dry completely.
- Add Barnwood Wax to the foam plate. Working one side of the frame at a time, brush on the Barnwood Wax using the Shortie Brush.
- While the Barnwood Wax is still wet, immediately scrape the surface of the frame using the side of an old credit card while following the grain of the wood to remove excess Barnwood Wax. This will remove the wax on high areas of the wood grain and allow it to settle in the lower areas of the wood grain. Repeat step 3 and 4 until all sections of barn wood are complete. Let dry completely.
- Be sure to also create the Barnwood effect on the sides or edges of the frame.
- When scraping the surface to remove excess Barnwood Wax, any straight edged tool will work, experiment with rulers, scrap lumber, and hotel room card keys. Be sure to wipe your scraping tool often to remove the excess Barnwood Wax from the tool.
- Holding the scraping tool at a 45° angle from the surface works best.