Wood birdhouse, Brush basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam plate, Fine grit sandpaper, Tracing paper, Pencil, 1/4" stencil tape, Household sponge, Waterbase brush-on varnish or spray finish (opt.)
- Surface Preparation: Lightly sand rough areas with fine grit sandpaper.
- Basecoat body of birdhouse Sunflower. Paint the roof and base Clover.
- When dry, sand if necessary and reapply basecoat colors. Allow to dry. 4. Apply 1/4" stencil tape in a vertical pattern across the roof. Using a damp household sponge loaded with Faded Jade and a touch of Wicker White, sponge the untaped areas. When dry, carefully remove the tape to reveal a Clover stripe.
- Paint a “slip slap” background to the body of the birdhouse. To paint slip slap, double load the 3/4” flat brush with Sunflower and Wicker White. Paint short choppy strokes from the upper left to the lower right and from the upper right to the lower left. Allow each stroke to lightly overlap the previous stroke. Paint in a hap-hazard motion and allow the colors to slightly blend. Allow to dry.
Tracing and Transferring a Pattern:
- Place the printed pattern face side up before you.
- Lay a sheet of tracing paper on top of the printed pattern. NOTE: you may secure the sheet of tracing paper to your surface with a piece of tape.
- Using a soft lead pencil, or a fine point permanent ink black marker, trace over the main pattern lines. DO NOT worry about tracing over detail lines as they will not be transferred.
Get the Pattern
- Daisies – Paint yellow daisy petal using Lemon Custard. Over stroke a few petals with Wicker White to create highlights. Paint the centers Lemon Custard shaded with AP Burnt Sienna. Highlight the centers with Wicker White. Paint tiny dots of AP Burnt Sienna and Licorice around the daisy center and accent the upper right center with tiny dots of Wicker White.
- Daisy Leaves – Paint the large leaves with Clover, accent with Fresh Foliage. Add small accent leaves of Calypso Sky.
- Large Butterflies – Paint the upper wings of the large butterfly Wicker White shaded with Calypso Sky. Add brush strokes of Lemon Custard when dry. The lower wings are painted Wicker White and accented with brush strokes of Calypso Sky. Paint the body and antennae with Licorice.
- Small Butterflies – Paint the upper wings with Wicker White and shade with Clover. Add Lemon Custard polka dots. Paint the lower wingers Wicker White and accent with Clover strokes. The body and antennae are painted Licorice. Finishing Touches: 1. Paint a “flight trail” of polka dots from each butterfly.
- When dry, apply a few coats of either waterbase brush-on varnish or spray finish to seal and protect your artwork.