Martha Stewart Crafts ® Patterning Brush Set - 4pc, Martha Stewart® 2oz Satin Acrylic Craft Paint - Beach Glass - 32012CA, Martha Stewart® 2oz Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint - Pond - 32015, Martha Stewart® 2oz Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint - Surf - 32016, Martha Stewart® 2oz Satin Acrylic Craft Paint - Vanilla Bean - 32069CA, Martha Stewart® 2oz Satin Acrylic Craft Paint - Wedding Cake - 32076CA, Martha Stewart® Large Brush Set - 4pc - 32245, Martha Stewart® Stencil Tape - 32292, Brush basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam plates, Fine grit sandpaper, Assorted wood boxes, Paraffin wax or candle
- If desired, remove any hardware on the wooden boxes and set aside. By removing the hardware, you will find that the sanding and painting process becomes easier.
- Begin by sanding each wood box using fine grit sandpaper. Wipe away excess saw dust using a moist paper towel.
- Basecoat the entire wood box surface Vanilla Bean and allow to dry.
- When dry, rub an old white candle or piece of paraffin wax over the outer edges of the box and lid as well as any areas you wish to have appear time worn.
- Wipe box with paper towel to remove excess wax.
- Basecoat each box section as shown in photograph using Beach Glass, Pond, and Surf over Vanilla Bean and waxed areas. Allow to dry. Reapply if desired.
- Determine the desired width of the horizontal stripes on the small box. Cut stencil tape to appropriate lengths and apply to box.
- Large Box – Stencil large Wedding Cake starfish on the beach glass box bottom using a stencil brush. Be sure to allow some of the starfish to “fall off” the edge of the box.
- Stencil the rope knot and rope trim around the surf box lid band using Wedding Cake.
- An overall pattern of large Wedding Cake shells are stenciled on the Pond box lid.
- Small Box – Paint Pond and Wedding Cake stripes against the Surf basecoat. Peel stencil tape and remove when painted.
- Stencil the rope knot and rope trim around the Beach Glass box lid band using Wedding Cake.
- Stencil an overall pattern of Wedding Cake sand dollars on the Pond box lid.
- When all paint is thoroughly dry, sand wood boxes using fine grit sandpaper. Sanding over previously waxed areas will allow the Vanilla Bean basecoat to show through and give you the time worn, distressed look.
- Assemble boxes by reattaching hardware and hinges.