11” x 14” Stretched canvas, Palette, Water basin, Paper towel, Graphite pencil, Light blue pencil, Ballpoint pen, Tape, Downloadable pattern
Get the Pattern
- Print out the downloadable artwork at 100% scale. Flip the print out over and color over the lines with a soft lead pencil to create a transfer.
- Place the artwork on the center of the canvas (pencil-side down) and tape in place. Outline the artwork with a ball point pen, and it will transfer the pencil onto your canvas. Un-tape one side and look to ensure you have drawn all lines. Remove.
- With a light blue pencil, carefully redraw the lines.
- Prepare your palette by squeezing out a 1” diameter size amount of each color. Add more as needed.
- Basecoat your canvas in Black using a ¾” flat brush going around the skull and flowers. Let dry. Apply a second coat. Let dry.
- Paint in the skull using a #8 round with White and add Butter Cream underneath the flowers edge. Blend the two colors together in a painterly fashion. Paint over the skull face decorations. When dry, you still should be able to see your lines. Let dry.
- As your white paint dries, paint the centers of the daisies in Yellow with the #6 round brush.
- Paint the eyes, nose and mouth solid Black with the #6 round brush.
- Referencing the project photo, paint the roses with Festival Pink in a circular motion with the #8 round brush. Before the pink dries, paint a spiral of Magenta starting in the center of each rose and working outwards. Add paint to your brush as needed. Let the lines blend with the Festival Pink to create a painterly effect.
- Paint each daisy petal with Laguna Blue with the #6 round. Before a petal dries, add a dab of white paint in the center of the petal and blend to create a highlight. See project photo.
- Paint each leaf with Classic Green with the #8 round. Before a leaf dries, brush on a dab of Gecko on the top edge and blend to create a highlight.
- Using the #2 round, paint the scallop design around the eyes in Festival Pink. When dry, add White dots.
- Using the #2 round, paint all of the vines and leaves in Gecko. Before the vine and leaves completely dry, add Classic Green accents. See project photo for reference.
- Paint the chin burst and center dots in Classic Green and Gecko.
- Using the #2 round, paint the small heart in Festival Pink. Add small Laguna Blue dots with vines and with the heart. Let dry.
- To finish: Using the #6 round dab a small amount of White and paint a simple spider web in each corner with tiny dots along the edge in between each web. Let dry completely.
- Please share your Day of the Dead painting with us at #plaidcrafts!