Apple Barrel ® Colors - Sandstone, 2 oz. - 20575, 10.5” x 12.5” Wood frame with an offset 3.5” x 5.5” opening, Brush Basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam plates for palette, ¾” Flat brush, No. 1 Liner brush, Pencil, Stencil tape
- Load the 3/4" flat brush with both White and Carolina Blue by dipping one corner in White and the other corner in Carolina Blue. Slightly blend the colors in the brush by brushing on the foam plate a couple times. Paint the entire surface of the fame with a “slip slap” technique. TIP: To paint a “slip slap” background, stroke the loaded brush over the surface creating a short choppy brush stroke. Flip the brush over and slightly overlap the first stroke. Continue applying short, choppy brush strokes slightly overlapping but not totally blending; you want to see both White and Carolina Blue strokes of color. Allow to dry.
- Using a pencil, lightly sketch rolling ground, tree trunk, curvaceous tree top and a rectangle measuring 2 3/4“x 3 1/4” directly over prepared background.
- Paint the tree trunk Toffee, the rectangle Sandstone, the ground and tree top Shamrock. Allow all areas to dry and if necessary reapply for opaque coverage.
- Load 3/4” flat brush with Chocolate Bar. Using chisel edge of brush, paint tree trunk lines up and down the trunk area.
- Load same brush with Lime Tree and paint curves into the tree top. Add Lime Tree to top of rolling, grassy ground.
- Slightly shade Sandstone rectangle box with Toffee as shown in the photo.
- Position monkey stencil where desired and hold in place using stencil tape. Stencil monkey body Toffee and shade with Chocolate Bar. Stencil monkey face Sandstone and slightly shade with Toffee. Add Pink Eraser cheeks. Allow to dry.
- Load a No. 1 liner brush with thinned Chocolate Bar. Paint two dot eyes, an oval nose and smile line, refer to photo for placement.
- Paint “M is for MONKEY” in Chocolate Bar using No. 1 liner brush. Add a dot – dash – dot painted border around the rectangle.
- Accent the tree top with Red Flag apples using a small Spouncer or the handle end of your paint brush. Accent apples with a touch of White and Chocolate Bar stems. Paint Lime Tree leaves throughout the Shamrock tree top.
- Paint clumps of grass using a No. 1 liner brush loaded with Shamrock, accent with Lime Tree grass.
- Paint Red Flag along the edges of the frame both inside the photo area as well as along the outside edge.
- When completely dry, lightly spray seal FolkArt Clearcote Matte Sealer to seal and protect your project surface.
Project Tip: Don’t forget to sign and date your frame prior to adding a photo of special “little monkey!”
Get the Pattern