Medium round balloon, Fabric silk leaves, Burlap, Scissors, Wood embroidery hoop (size to be determined by size of lampshade), Glue, Braided jute trim, Wax paper, Wood finial (optional)
- Protect work surface with wax paper. Blow up balloon to desired size you want leaf bowl-shaped lampshade to be.
- Place balloon in bowl or cut so that it stands up with the tied section in the bowl.
- Place leaf onto wax paper and completely coat with Stiffy.
- Place leaf on balloon and press gently so leaf is flat on the balloon.
- Repeat adding leaves overlapping as you build until you have the desired size of lampshade.
- Let dry. The Stiffy will drip down balloon, but that’s OK.
- Pop the balloon when leaves are totally dried and remove it from center of lampshade.
- Use a medium brush to apply a thin coat of Stiffy on the inside and outside of shade. Let dry thoroughly.
- Attach the inner ring of the embroidery hoop by gluing along inside edge of rim.
- Cut a length of burlap long enough to go around the rim of the shade. Cut the width to your desired length for fringe. Remove all the horizontal strings of burlap leaving about four when you get to the end. Glue around shade. Glue braided jute over raw edge of burlap fringe to finish.
- Place over a lamp base with a harp attachment. Add wood finial at the top.