FolkArt ® One Stroke™ Worksheet Packs - Basic Strokework, One 8” wide x 6” tall stretched canvas, Two 5” square stretched canvases, Brush basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam plate
- Load the 3/4” Flat Brush with Licorice and basecoat each of the three canvases black. Allow to dry.
- Reapply basecoat if needed.
- Large Leaf Scroll – Refer to Flower Petals Worksheet (1011AWKSHT) to practice strokework before painting. Double load the No. 12 Flat Brush with Tomato Red and Lemon Custard. Blend on the palette to soften the color. Begin painting the red strokes to the backside of the large red/green leaf scroll. Paint overlapping comma and “wiggle” comma strokes in a slight curve.
- Double load the same No. 12 Flat Brush with Fresh Foliage and Lemon Custard. Blend on the palette. Continue painting the same strokes layering the green / yellow over the red previously painted strokes. Accent some of the green strokes with AP Yellow Ochre.
- Fill in additional strokes if needed.
- Wiggle Leaf – Refer to Leaf Stokes Worksheet (1011BWKSHT) to practice strokework before painting. Double load the No. 12 Flat Brush with Tomato Red and Lemon Custard. Blend on the palette. To paint a “wiggle leaf” begin at the base of each leaf, on the chisel edge touch at an angle, apply pressure, pull the bristles upward and wiggle; lift back to the chisel edge at the tip of the leaf. NOTE: Keep Tomato Red to the outside of each leaf.
- Fern – Refer to Leaf Strokes Worksheet (1011BWKSHT) to practice strokework before painting. Double load the No. 12 Flat Brush with Fresh Foliage and Thicket; blend on the palette. Paint a curving stem keeping the brush on the chisel edge. Add pairs of basic One Stroke leaves on either side of the curving stem. Begin on the chisel edge of the brush, touch the surface, apply pressure, pull and lift back to the chisel edge of the brush creating the tip of the leaf. NOTE: You may wish to accent a portion of the stem and a few leaves with a touch of Lemon Custard.
- Accent Leaves – Basic One Stroke leaves are painted as accents on all three canvases. Try a variety of colors: AP Yellow Ochre with Thicket stems; Tomato Red and Lemon Custard; and Thicket and Fresh Foliage. Paint these accents leaves as filler to the design on each of the three canvases using the No. 12 Flat Brush.
- Comma Strokes – To further accent the scroll / leaf designs, paint long narrow Thicket and Fresh Foliage comma strokes painted with the No. 2 Script Liner Brush.
- Don’t forget to sign your name in the color desired with thinned paint using the No. 2 Script Liner Brush. When dry if desired, apply a couple coats of brush-on waterbase varnish or spray sealer in sheen of your choice. Enjoy!