Plaid Conserves to Preserve
Individually and as a corporation, Plaid takes its responsibility to the environment seriously. Conservation and wise use of resources are critical factors in our day-to-day business. Here are some notable ways we've reduced, reused and/or recycled.
- We dug a well and instituted treatment/recycling processes at our paint manufacturing plant, saving thousands of gallons of water every day.
- Scraps from Plaid's stencil production are returned to the raw material vendor for new life…as stencils.
- Reusable totes for paint bottles make at least 15 round trips between Plaid and the bottle manufacturer before being recycled, saving 50,000 corrugated cartons annually.
- The gram weight of plastic paint bottles was tweaked, resulting in reduced raw materials, less weight and lower freight costs.
- Specialty software selects the optimum size of order shipping cartons, significantly reducing corrugate usage.
- A new process for import packing has yielded an 80% reduction in non-recyclable corrugate.
- Glass, aluminum and other recycling bins are faithfully used in the lunchroom, while toner cartridges and paper are collected at outposts for recycling.
Plaid will continue to regularly implement—and report on—special projects designed with respect to our environment and help sustain our vital natural resources.