Can't-Miss Tips on How to Paint by Number
So you've just gotten your first Paint by Number kit from Plaid, and you're feeling overwhelmed. Not to fear, we can help! Before you start your first Paint by Number kit from Plaid, be sure to read these tips.
- Make sure to work in a brightly lit area and keep a magnifying glass on hand for the smallest areas of the canvas.
- Start by painting the smallest areas of the canvas and gradually move to the largest areas.
- If possible, let each painted area dry completely (around 10-15 minutes, depending on thickness of application) before moving on to the next one.
- Remember to wash your brush completely before moving to a different color. For Plaid kits, warm water and mild soap work best.
- For kits that require simple blending, paint mixed light colors next. Then, finish with darker mixed colors.
- When blending colors, always leave a small amount of the original colors for any places you might have missed.
- Toothpicks work well for mixing colors as well as filling in the very small areas of the canvas.
- Use enough paint to cover the numbers, but not so much that the paint runs into other areas.
- With each color, start in the middle of the picture working your way out and around so as not to miss a spot.
- Prevent smudges by starting at the top of the canvas so that the drying paint stays above your hand.
- Close the paint pots when not in use to prevent them from drying out.
- While not necessary, you can seal your completed Paint by Number with a light coat of clear acrylic sealer.
- Be patient and take your time!
To learn more, read the Paint by Number Frequently Asked Questions, available below.
Plaid ® Paint by Number - Thomas Kinkade™ - Homecoming Hero