FolkArt ® Painted Finish Kit - Barnwood #5074, FolkArt ® Painted Finishes - Brush Set, 3 pc. #5080, Unfinished wood - Small pallet-style board, Wood letter “R”, Brush basin or container for water, Stencil tape, Foam plates, Paper towels, Tracing Paper, Pencil, Gray graphite, Hot glue gun, Glue sticks
- Basecoat the wood letter ® Turquoise. Let dry. Sand lightly along edges to create a distressed effect.
- Pour a small amount of Barnwood Tint onto a foam plate, then brush the tint onto the pallet following the wood grain using a Shortie Brush. Wipe off excess stain. Let dry completely.
- Add Barnwood Wax to the foam plate then apply the wax in sections working one pallet strip at a time.
- While the Barnwood Wax is still wet, immediately scrape the wax off using the side of an old credit card following the grain of the wood. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the entire pallet resembles barn wood. Let dry completely.
- Place the sheet of tracing paper over the pallet; secure in place with stencil tape. Position the turquoise painted ® where desired on top of the tracing paper; using a pencil, draw "elax" on the tracing paper. Lift to remove the "R."
- Place gray graphite transfer paper, graphite side down, underneath the tracing paper then trace "elax" to transfer the pattern onto the pallet. Remove the tracing paper pattern.
- Using the FolkArt 2 – n – 1 Craft Tool fitted with the round flow tip, wood burn the "elax." If necessary, wipe the tip should it become heavy with melted wax.
- To finish, hot glue the ® in place.
- If transferred lines are too hard to see when transferring the wood burn pattern to the painted Barnwood, colored chalk will do the trick! Shake away excess chalk dust before wood burning.
- Always follow the natural direction of the wood grain when scraping to remove the excess Barnwood Wax.
- On large projects, it is advisable to work a section at a time.