Unfinished wood birdhouses, Wax candle, Sandpaper (medium grit), Flat brush, Liner brush, Felt pieces in various colors, Scissors, Nine coordinating buttons, White craft glue, Pen, Clear acrylic sealer (optional)
- Begin by basecoating each birdhouse: – one Cottage Rose, one Yellow Citron and one Calypso Sky. Also paint the roofs. Give at least two coats and allow to dry.
- Rub wax candle with firm pressure on the edges, around the bird hole and on the fronts and roofs of the birdhouses. Rub the candle randomly; anywhere you want the distressed look is where you are going to rub wax. NOTE: On the Yellow Citron birdhouse, only the roof is distressed. This means you would only rub wax on the roof of this birdhouse.
- Paint the birdhouse body Cottage Rose and Calypso Sky birdhouses Wicker White. Paint several coats, covering up the wax and other paint colors. Allow to dry.
- Repeat the same process on the roofs with Teddy Bear Brown. Allow to dry.
- Take your felt scraps and cut flowers; draw a large flower shape with a pen and then cut just inside the lines. You’ll also want to cut some “shingles” for one of the roofs. Set your flower shapes aside.
- When your birdhouses are dry, sand them lightly. You’ll be able to see the areas where the wax is under the paint – sand in these places to remove the paint from the surface, giving the project a distressed look. The more distressed you would like the project, the more you should sand. Just be careful not to sand TOO much – you don’t want to reach the surface below the paint.
- Now that your birdhouses are distressed, you can add the felt pieces. Glue the flowers on randomly with white craft glue – suggestions are shown in the photo. Also glue the shingles onto the roof. Finally, glue the buttons onto the centers of the flowers. Allow to dry.
- Using the liner brush and Hauser Green Light thinned with a little water, paint stems and leaves below each of the flowers. Allow to dry at least twenty-four hours before using.
- Optional: spray all birdhouses with clear acrylic sealer for durability.