Unfinished wood window shutter- 15” x 39”, Two (2) unfinished pine boards 14 7/8” x 3 ½” x 5/8” (for shelves), Brush basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam bowls and plates for palettes, Tape, Ruler, Pen, Lint-free cotton cloth, Craft knife, Medium or fine grit sandpaper, Tack cloth, Six (6) wood screws, Wood glue, Two (2) wing wood appliques, Electric drill, Foam cup, Screwdriver, Plastic spoon
- Lightly sand unfinished wood shutter and pine shelf boards with medium grit sandpaper creating a smooth surface while opening wood pores.
- Create a measuring cup by placing a ruler inside a foam cup, then mark 1" from the cup bottom up using a pen.
- Next, apply a thinner consistency of FolkArt Home Decor Chalk - Willow Mist which will be perfect for the color wash technique. Use the marked foam cup to measure 4 parts water to 1 part FolkArt Home Decor Chalk - Willow Mist into a foam bowl. Mix thoroughly using a plastic spoon.
- Load your paintbrush by dipping into the diluted Willow Mist. Remove excess paint by brushing the side of the bowl.
- Apply this mixture to the unfinished shutter, two pine shelf boards, and the two wing wood appliques. Brush the thinned chalk paint along the natural grain of the wood. If desired, wipe the surface with a paper towel to remove excess and to even out the color application. Allow to dry.
- Sand the color washed surfaces smooth using fine grit sandpaper. Wipe surfaces to remove sanding dust.
- Finishing – Brush a coat of FolkArt Home Decor Wax onto all chalk painted, color washed surfaces. Allow the wax to penetrate through the paint washed surface and into the original, unfinished wood.
- Attach Shelves – Using wood glue, attach shelves to the flat sections of the shutter, one on the center board and one at the bottom. Allow to dry.
- After the glue has dried, drill three holes into each shelf from the wrong side of the shutter. Add wood screws to provide additional support.
- Add the two color-washed wood appliques as embellishments, to the top of the shutter using wood glue. Allow to dry.