FolkArt Milk Paint - Virginia Reel, 6.8 oz. #38933, FolkArt Milk Paint - Finishing Oil, 3.7 oz. #38938, Unfinished wood window shutter- 15” x 39”, Two (2) unfinished pine boards 14 7/8” x 3 ½” x 5/8” (for shelves), Brush basin or container for water, Paper towels, Foam bowls and plates for palettes, Tape, Ruler, Pen, Lint-free cotton cloth, Craft knife, Medium or fine grit sandpaper, Tack cloth, Six (6) wood screws, Wood glue, Two (2) wing wood appliques, Electric drill, Foam cup, Screwdriver, Plastic spoon
- Lightly sand unfinished wood shutter and pine shelf boards with medium grit sandpaper creating a smooth surface while opening wood pores.
- Create a measuring cup by placing a ruler inside a foam cup, then mark 1" from the cup bottom up using a pen.
- Next, mix a thinner consistency milk paint which will be perfect for the color wash technique. Use the marked foam cup to measure 4 parts water to 1 part Virginia Reel FolkArt Milk Paint into a foam bowl. Mix thoroughly using a plastic spoon.
- Load a FolkArt Milk Paint 1.25" paintbrush by dipping into the diluted Milk Paint. Remove excess paint by brushing the side of the bowl.
- Apply this mixture to the unfinished shutter, two pine shelf boards, and the two wing wood appliques. Brush the thinned Milk Paint along the natural grain of the wood. If desired, wipe the surface with a paper towel to remove excess and to even out the color application. Allow to dry.
- Sand the color washed surfaces smooth using fine grit sandpaper. Wipe surfaces to remove sanding dust.
- Finishing – Brush a coat of FolkArt Milk Paint Finishing Oil onto all Milk Paint color washed surfaces. Allow the oil to penetrate through the paint washed surface and into the original, unfinished wood. Immediately after applying Finishing Oil, wet sand all surfaces with fine grit sandpaper creating a velvety smooth finish. Wipe to remove sanding dust.
- Attach Shelves – Using wood glue, attach shelves to the flat sections of the shutter, one on the center board and one at the bottom. Allow to dry.
- After the glue has dried, drill three holes into each shelf from the wrong side of the shutter. Add wood screws to provide additional support.
- Add the two color-washed wood appliques as embellishments, to the top of the shutter using wood glue. Allow to dry.
- TIP: Before painting the Milk Paint color wash, determine placement of shelves and drill pilot holes from the back of the shutter as well as on the shelf boards. Pre-drilling the holes will make it easier to assemble.