Unfinished hat boxes: small; medium; and large = basecoated white, ½ yard each of rose printed fabrics that coordinate (3 pieces), 1 yard of fabric to be used on boxes bottom sections – coordinating print, 1 yard each of 3 coordinating grosgrain ribbons in widths that fit lids, Rotary cutter with cutting board (optional), Scissors, Pencil, Ruler, Wax Paper
- Basecoat inside and outside of boxes and lids with Wicker White.
- Paint back of fabric with Mod Podge and let dry before cutting to keep it from fraying.
- Paint insides of boxes and lids with Cayman Blue. Let dry.
- Turn fabric over so that your pencil lines and Fabric Mod Podge will be on the back of the fabric. Using pencil, trace around lid onto portions of rose patterns for lids and bottoms of boxes. Cut out.
- Measure the height of box and circumference. Use rotary cutter or scissors to cut strip to fit around box. Repeat for each size.
- Apply Fabric Mod Podge to a section of the outside of first box that is several inches wide and the height of box. Position end of fabric strip onto glue and rub into place with fingers. Brush several more inches of Mod Podge onto box and rub down with fingers, being sure that strip aligns with top edge of box. Continue until you have totally wrapped the box with fabric and it is laying flat. Trim where fabric overlaps and press edges together making a seamless joint.
- Paint the top of a box with Fabric Mod Podge. Align the circle of fabric and press into place. Use fingers to rub from center out toward edges to remove all air bubbles and make fabric lay flat. Repeat for each box.
- If desired, apply a circle of fabric to the bottoms of boxes. Let dry.
- Apply two coats of Gloss Mod Podge over entire outsides of boxes and lids, letting dry between coats.
- Paint a light even coat of Fabric Mod Podge around rim of box and apply ribbon, trimming overlap and pressing ends together for seamless join. Note: Do not use excessive amount of glue, as it will show through the ribbon.
- Optional step: Embellish your project with buttons and/or jewelry.