Brush Basin or container for water, Foam plate for a palette, Paper towels, Large Scruffy brush, Large Flat brush, No. 1 Script liner brush, Stencil tape, Posterboard
- Spread brown craft paper over the studio table offering a clean, dry crafting surface. Then positioned the pre-sewn pillow top on the work surface.
- Cut a piece of posterboard to fit inside the pillow top serving as support to work on as well as protection to keep the backside of the pillow clean.
- To color block a square in the center of pillow, mask the square shape using stencil tape.
- Loaded the small FolkArt Home Decor paintbrush with Spanish Moss and painted the square area inside the tape lines.
- A small amount of FolkArt Home Decor Chalk paint goes a long way and dries quickly to the touch. However, if you are impatient, a household hair dryer can speed up the drying time. Be sure to thoroughly clean your FolkArt Home Decor Chalk brush in warm soapy water after using it. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- Lift to easily remove the stencil tape to expose clean straight lines to your painted square color block.
- Load on the foam plate with a small puddle of the following colors: White Adirondack, Vintage Mustard, Cinnamon and Java. Double-load the large scruffy brush with both Cinnamon and Java by pouncing into each puddle.
- Using that double loaded large Scruffy brush, pounce a sunflower center onto the dry Spanish Moss color blocked square approximately in the center.
- Next, double load the large flat brush with Cinnamon and Vintage Mustard and pull sunflower petal strokes from the center of the flower towards to petal tip. Continue painting flower petals around the entire center.
- After cleaning the flat brush, double load the scruffy brush once more with Java and Cinnamon and pounce the sunflower center once more.
- Continue adding leaves to the sunflower. To paint the leaves, double-load the large flat brush with Vintage Mustard and Spanish Moss.
- Keeping the Vintage Mustard to the outside of the stroke, paint a couple wiggle leaves around the sunflower.
- Basic One Stroke leaves were added to the design using the same double loaded brush of Vintage Mustard and Spanish Moss. Be sure to pull a vein or stem to each basic One Stroke leaf so that they are not floating!
- To further enhance the sunflower center, load the Script Liner brush with Java and paint accent lines on each sunflower petal keeping those lines or petal veins at varying lengths.
- To further embellish the sunflower center, load the handle end of her liner brush with Vintage Mustard and paint dots around half the flower center. Then highlight with a few White Adirondack dots and a couple Java dots on the other half of the sunflower center.
- As an added accent to the leaves and sunflower petals, load your liner brush with Java and paint shadow lines to outline as shown.
FolkArt Home Decor Chalk paints should be heatset when used as fabric home décor accents. If washing is required, like most hand painted items, it is best to hand wash and line dry.